Tuesday, August 2, 2011

More Praying, Less Saying



We all have our struggles when it comes to Yiddishkeit. (Well most of us do!)
There are those Mitzvos that we take pleasure in and look forward to doing and those that we sometimes find bothersome and annoying.
Pretty much as far back as I can remember I absolutely loathed Davening.
Thinking back I can't even pinpoint what it was exactly that I disliked so much but I dreaded it and avoided it at all costs.
Most of high school I spent the time allotted to Davening doing anything but.
Between socializing, gossiping, studying I was always busy doing something.
On those seldom days when I was feeling overly spiritual or my principal was on the prowl and I decided that Davening might be a good plan I took such shortcuts through Davening I don't think I myself was even sure what I was saying, forget G-d.
Then it happened.
It was one random day at the beginning of my senior year.
It occurred to me just how stupid I've been all these years.
A burden?!
A frustration?!
Am I crazy?!
Davening is one of the most incredible gifts I've been given.
Here is twenty/thirty minutes of my day devoted solely to connecting to G-d.
On one hand I realized it was an opportune time for me to ask anything and everything I want. 
What ever it is I'm lacking.
Things I want more of.
Brochos for me.
For my family.
Friends etc…
This was MY time.
From another side I realized here was the perfect chance to thank G-d for everything he gives me. Starting with Him giving me back my life in the morning, to the food I eat throughout the day, the clothing on my back and the list goes on and on
To think there was a point in my life where I felt I couldn't take a half hour, just a half hour, from the twenty four hours of good He's giving me, to thank him?!
Selfish much??
Although all this really is not a new or earth shattering concept and nothing I didn't already know it was like I had some sort of epiphany where it all became so clear to me.
From that moment on Davening become a whole new experience.
It was something I grew to love and cherish and most days even look forward to.
It’s my one on one time with G-d where no request is off limits and I get to let Him know just how thankful I am for all that He's given me.

Now saying the words of Davening is very nice and when it comes to fulfilling the basic part of the Mitzvah that will cover it, but it takes on a whole new level of meaningfulness and power when you actually understand the words you are saying.
To really fulfill the deeper part of the Mitzvah you’re Kavanos play a huge role.
Unfortunately though it’s pretty tedious and most of us don't really have the luxury to sit with an English-Hebrew Siddur and really understand every paragraph we're saying. .

Like with all seemingly impossible things it’s really all about the baby steps.
To help with that I decided to start a series of posts that I will sporadically blog on the meaning behind different Teffilos.
I’m calling them, "More Praying, Less Saying."
My goal is to focus on some key Teffilos and the meaning behind them.
Reading about these Tefillos, where they originated from, what special Kochos they possess will hopefully fill your morning experience with more praying and less saying. 

Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment