Thursday, June 16, 2011

Not Just Another Birthday

I’m starting to find that the older I get the less significant birthdays become. What once was a date that had a “65 days, 16 hours, 33 minutes, 15 seconds, and 5 nano-seconds” countdown the days proceeding it is now pretty much just another date on the calendar. Not to sound like I’m complaining because on the contrary this birthday proved to be one of my best birthdays yet. It’s more of a perspective thing where you realize that it’s more than just a day to get presents and eat cake (although there's nothing wrong with a bit of that!) As Frum Lubavitchers we grew up learning the Horoahs of the Rebbe as to what one should do on their birthday. Amongst the list and probably one of the more important ones is the concept of making a Hahchlata, a resolution. One is committing to take on a new good deed for that coming year. As every birthday comes and goes I try and fulfill this obligation, be it a big take on or something small. Some years it lasts a month, others almost a full year, and even some that I still do today. This year as I thought about it I decided I want it to be different. I want to really take upon something that I’ll stick to. But more than just improving my own life I have this strong desire to help others improve theirs as well. This feeling of wanting to reach out actually came to me a little less than a month ago.
This may sound rash, a bit on the insensitive side, and to some maybe even a little impetuous but dig deep inside yourself and you'll see where I come from. We human beings are creatures of habit. And as habit happen to be by most of us, we’re naturally selfish. No one’s first and obvious desire is to please others. If it happens to be while doing so you're somehow benefiting yourself that's one thing, but otherwise we like to revolve everything around ourselves. The things we do, say, act; it’s all about how it makes me feel or what I’m gaining from it. We tend to have a whole lot of “me” and “I” and not so much “you.” And that's normal. It’s why we are brought up to never be content where we are and to constantly strive to perfect ourselves and attain a higher level.
There are though select individuals who defy this human nature. Against all odds they live a life of complete selfless. They posses a level of Ahavas Yisroel that surpasses anything we can ever imagine; a level that's spoken about by many yet practiced by so few. One such individual, who exemplified this rare, earnest, and most genuine love for every single Jew was my grandfather, Rabbi Yitzchok Meir Kagan A"H.
Ten years ago from this past Chof Iyar, my grandfather, Rabbi Y.M. Kagan A”H was taken from this world. After spending the Shabbos of Lag B’omer Farbrenging at the Ohel (something he often did) he was unfortunately killed in a tragic car accident while driving to the airport. More than me losing my grandfather the world lost a rare and cherished soul. We lost a great friend, profound mentor, esteemed teacher, and most importantly a true Chossid. We know there is absolutely no such thing as happenstance. Everything happens for a reason down to the most minute of details. So it is no coincidence that Zaidy’s Yom Hilullah falls out just two days after Lag B'omer. The day that Rabbi Akiva's students ceased to pass away. 24,000 students had been killed and why? All due to a major lack in Ahavas Yisroel. Whilst Lag B’omer leave us with many valuable lessons the most vital, important one is of course Ahavas Yisroel as Hillel HaZakon said when asked to explain the whole Torah on one foot- V’Ahavata Lerecha Kamocha. Who better to teach us this concept than Rabbi Kagan.
Being the mere age of ten years old when he was Niftar I unfortunately don’t have too many memories of him. What I know is what I hear from the countless stories that were told about him, the personal encounters that people have since given over, the articles and books he’s written, and tapes and videos that were put out. The underlying theme, among so many lessons he had to teach, was definitely that of Ahavas Yisroel.
One thing Zaidy was famous for was compiling “A Thought for the Week,”adapted from the works of the Rebbe. Short, sweet, and straight to the point these thoughts on the weekly Parsha became wildly popular and today are commonly said around the Shabbos table.
I’m no author and can't write nor talk as eloquently as my grandfather but in wanting to keep his legacy alive and doing something to make him proud I have started this blog titled, “A Thought for the Day.”  Most of us B”H are consumed with busy lives. Between work, school, kids and just life in general things can get pretty hectic and especially as we get older and don’t necessarily have the luxury to sit and learn all day it’s important to get at least a small, daily “dose” of G-dliness and spirituality. So every day (or at least that’s my goal) I will post a small thought, nothing mind blowing or too complex, just a small something to think about throughout the day. If even just one person reads it and takes it in, my Hachlata will be fulfilled. May we all be Zoche that by my next birthday we will all be celebrating in Yerushalayim with the Rebbe and Zaidy!

2 comments:

  1. Chaya! wow!! i just had the shivers reading this. I just came upon this on my news feed, and it look really intriguing :) I'm glad I came upon it.
    Happy Birthday sweets!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chaya, this is SO beautiful! I was a bit late in looking at this, but now that i have i will definitely try to go on every day. Thank you so much for starting this, you know it means alot to all of us.

    ReplyDelete